Monday, February 28, 2011

Winter Update from Fairbanks



We have had some unpredictable weather in Fairbanks. Four to six inches were expected to fall Sunday February 19th through Monday February 20th. While snow in Alaska may not sound all that surprising, I had been told many times that it doesn't snow here like it used to. I was also told that I wouldn't be trudging through the snow, because total snow fall for the year is usually a few inches. The storm dumped a whopping18 inches. We cheerfully shoveled the night before this photo was taken, only to wake up and find out that it didn't make any difference. This picture was taken at around 6:00 in the morning, just before we scooped out the car to get to work. I didn't expect much when I took the picture, but I like the way the black spruce looks (in front of our car) and the few flakes that got caught in the flash. A few clouds show their form in the snow filled sky. Yesterday, we received more snow again. This time it was about 6 inches. We cheerfully scooped out our car again. We got a break from the snow and then gusts of wind (45mph) that lasted into the wee hours. Windy conditions are rare in Fairbanks; it's normally calm. All of the snow has been blown off the Black Spruce, Birch and Aspen trees.





Display by Design Alaska
 On Super Bowl Sunday, while nearly everyone else was watching the Green Bay Packers win their ripping victory, I tooled around town and snapped a few photos of ice sculptures that some of the businesses put up. They look nice during the day, but even better at night when they are illuminated.This is my prelude to the World Ice Championships, which is currently going, here in Fairbanks. Ice sculptures will be on display for another 3 weeks.









The last of my photos for this post is of a Boeing 787 that visited the Fairbanks International Airport. It has stopped here a few times for cold weather testing. I shot this picture from a parking lot at Everts Air. This aircraft is so enormous that it didn't require "zoom"  from where I was standing.


Displayed by Sophie Station

Displayed by Team Cutters
Boeing 787

No comments:

Post a Comment